I’ve been cleaning out my closets lately. You know how it is; things get worn out, things become too tight (or if you’re really lucky, too loose), things go out of style, and sometimes you don’t know why you bought a thing in the first place. So, you gather up those things and hope someone else can make use of them, but for you they’re just no good anymore.
There’s an old saying that comes to mind, “Dust my broom.” If you need a change and want to start fresh, then you “dust your broom” and get on with it. It can take awhile before you begin the cleaning, but you know once you get started you will feel so much better about having cleared away the clutter. Once those boxes are off to Goodwill, or the last customer has left the yard sale, you can rest easy.
It’s that way with most things. Your to-do list has probably been nagging at you for some time.
- Do you need a will? Do you need to update the will you have?
- Do you want to donate property or set up a trust or foundation?
- Do you have a living will that lets your family know what medical decisions you would want made in the event you could not speak for yourself?
- Do you have a power of attorney so that someone can manage your affairs if you’re unable to make decisions for yourself?
- Do you have a guardian chosen for your children if something should happen to you and your spouse?
- Have you recently had a baby, gotten married or lost a spouse? You may want to change the beneficiaries on your investments and insurance policies.
- Are you getting married soon? Do you want to separate certain property from the community with a prenuptial agreement?
- Have you been contemplating a divorce?
- Did you get a divorce in the last few years but never divided up your community property? If you want to refinance that property you will need to clear title to it before you can refinance in your name alone.
- Are you paying child support but want to know how a job change affects you?
- Do you have a child with someone who has never paid support, or has stopped paying support?
- Has it been a while since you’ve visited with your kids? Would you like to be able to see them more regularly?
Give me a call at (504) 330-5522 if you’re ready to ‘dust your broom.’ I can help you get your legal house in order.